Friday, October 9, 2015

One Layer Tag


So I was totally kicking it old school for the SDC:216 Tag Challenge.

First I dug around and found my last Ranger manilla tag (love these!) and I stamped Topher near the middle with Versamark ink... that required finding my versa mark ink. I haven't stamped with the intention to color in a loooong time.

Then I made a mask and had to search for some repositionable glue (are you catching theme here... it's been awhile). With mixed media, repositionable is the farthest thing from what I'm looking for.

Once the mask was trimmed all pretty I let the glue set and then covered up Topher. Then I stamped the Angel wings - 2 sided (I am going to use the heck out of this most awesome stamp) kind of catawampus 'behind' Topher. I peeled off the mask and voila - a shy winged dude.

The rest was cake - copic markers for color and I made the very simple background by scribbling a bit of purple neocolor crayons and then blending it out with white liquid acrylic.

Once it was all dry, I touched up the show laces and wing tips with a black micron pen.

Easy peasy. I even got to take a picture before the rain made things too soggy.

Anyone who's been reading this blog for long knows one-layer is way out of my comfort zone. I'm glad I challenged myself to do this and I'm sure this tag will find it's way into an art journal page or postcard before too much time passes.

FWIW, I had a great time coloring and stamping - it's nice to revisit old favorite pastimes. 


9 comments:

Becca Cruger said...

Such a cool inky and quirky tag!

Unknown said...

wow, great idea that you didn't color the upper part of your tag! And the wings....marvelous! Thank you for joining us at the Stampotique Challenge!

Corrie Herriman said...

Love this ! It is fab ! ...and he is one of my favourite characters too ! Thanks so much for joining us over at Stampotique this week !
Corrie x

Sam & Poppy said...

Gorgeous!
Thanks for joining in with us at Stampotique

Kristen said...

Love your tag. Thank you for joining us at Stampotique challenge!

*Arwen* said...

I LOVE this!!! He looks awesome with the wings!
Thank you for joining us at the Stampotique Challenge :)

xx Arwen

Ginger said...

I love him with the wings. thank you for joining us at the Stampotique challenge this week. Carol xx

Kathi said...

So nice to see you going "old school" for a bit. The tag is wonderful. I love how you added the wings to Topher and love how you colored him.

One layer is almost impossible for those who like to go all techniquey, so I totally understand the difficulty involved. Kudos for doing such a fabulous job stepping outside your comfort zone.

Thanks for playing along with us at Stampotique Designers Challenges!

Kristen said...

Awesome tag. I love that you added the wings. Thanks for playing with us over at Stampotique challenge.