Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Cut Out + Keep: Book Review


I'm really excited to share this book with you guys! 

Way back when the internet was just a pimply adolescent, I stumbled across a seriously awesome website - 

The way I remember it, Cat Morley was this SUPER-COOL girl who was studying abroad and had an awesome blog. That morphed into one of the raddest indie communities online, Cut Out and Keep which has been a haven, a refuge, a home-away-from-home for indie, artsy crafty girls - like me. 

So when Laurence King asked me to peruse Cat and Tom Waddington's new book I jumped at the chance. 

The concept of the book - and you know I love a good hook - is that the couple set out on a road trip of epic proportions: they were going to visit all 50 states and choose what to see an do based on the advice of the site's members. 

The product of this grand adventure is the book, Cut Out + Keep: Around the USA in 50 Craft Projects. 

It's a terrific blend of travelogue and craft book and it has a truly delightful mix of projects and recipes ranging from screen printed shirts to moonshine perfume to Bacon Bit Pralines. Yum!


The projects skew to a younger, indie demographic so if you're looking to go deep on a topic, or for fine art,  this is not the book for you. But if you want to have fun, splash around in the crafty pool and make some unique... even a little edgy, crafts it's a terrific romp.


The book is well laid out and there are loads of stepped out pictures for each craft. I was really happy to see that, as so many craft books are moving to just written instructions and one gorgeous finished product shot. IMHO, showing the steps is superior in every way. 


Another thing that impressed me was how the travel sections introducing each state were thoughtfully written. You could experience their trip alongside them.

Those pages were insightful, full of tips and in no way a 'throw away' bit before getting to the projects.

I can easily see myself flipping through before leaving on a trip to get ideas of not-to-miss stops.

Cut out and Keep: Around the USA in 50 Craft Projects is available March 17.




No comments: