Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sewing Space Part One - Tiered Organizer

I'm working on transforming my desk in the hall "sewing area" from a catch-all surface for everything from laundry to lego to a nice, organized spot where I can sew without having to move a ton of stuff first.

My goal is to add storage, organizers and a little bit of personal style. I'm only half-way there but I wanted to share my progress.

First up, some cute vertical storage. These are all over the internet, but just in case you needed some tips, I took pics of the process.


Go thrifting and acquire two candle sticks (or really any sort of spacer) and three flat surfaces - like plates, platters etc. I have a burner pan, a round cake pan and a tarnished platter for this one. I bought the "expensive" stuff and it came to six bucks.


Look at all the wonderful tarnish and age!


Make sure the bottoms are flat and that the graduation in size is pleasing.

Try them out, unattached, in the space to make sure the height is right. If not, go find a different size of candle stick - they don't need to match.


Spray paint your candlesticks, or in this case, since I liked the white, I distressed the finish using rough sand paper.



Glue together with E-6000


If there is some sort of trick to this, I'd love to hear it. My tower kept sliding around, I ended drying it upside down.


Fill with your supplies. 

There's lots more to share. So stay tuned :-)

Warmly, Nicole

8 comments:

Dunx said...

re: sliding around - could you have clamped it? You'd need a spacer block on the top tier and a longish clamp, of course.

Teri said...

Awesome idea! I'm creating a new sewing space for myself! Looks like a trip to the thrift stores is in order for me!!! Thank you!

Ginaj said...

Super cute Nicole!

. said...

Your is adorable!! I love the pieces you used. :)

I was just at the Salvation Army tonight looking for pieces to do something like this. But it was one of those nights, I guess I wasn't feeling inspired so I left with nothing.

As far as the slipping. When I can, I try to put some heavy books on top of things like this, it really helps.

Unknown said...

Oh you crafty girl~what a fabulous idea!

Mitralee said...

LOVE IT! JUST LOVE IT! Plus, you just told me I need to go out to some garage sales, oh my! Hurt me!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I LIKE that! such personality! I love how your use things.

www.StarHughes.com said...

Great idea!!! I love its rustic vibe. Very pretty!
Star Hughes Living