Tuesday, March 15, 2011

52 Cakes: Ice Box Cake

My number one criteria for the next few cakes was that they be small and not too complicated. It seemed like the perfect time to try an icebox cake. The concept has always intrigued me -

(soggy) cookies + cream + time = cake

You're kidding, right?

Um... yeah, they are right. Who knew? Look~


I made ours teeny-tiny (for us at least) as I was seriously skeptical of the whole process.

You start with cookies, we used Anna's Cappuccino Crisps from Ikea as I saw them frequently in the better sounding recipes.

Then whip a carton of heavy whipping cream with 2TBL of powdered sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla until thick and tasty.

At this point we dipped cookies into the whipping cream to test the flavor and we all thought it was smoky, weird and gross. We gave one to the dog... he wouldn't eat it either. 

Not promising.

Chocolate was all I could think of to salvage this train wreck so I grabbed some dark chocolate (also from Ikea) and my micro plane. Armed, we proceeded.

Layer cookies in your pan, breaking them as needed to fill in the spaces.
 I used a 6 or 7 inch spring form pan but any dish will do. Next time I'm using a plastic wrap lined loaf pan.

Spread whip cream over top.

Grate chocolate onto whip cream.

Top with cookies.


Then whip cream.


Then chocolate.

( My youngest had a great time making this... you wouldn't believe the HUGE mess he made. Oh. My. Gosh.)

Do this for a long, long time... at least five layers. 

Top with whip cream and a little cookie crumble or chocolate if you're feeling fancy 
(which is unlikely because if you're feeling fancy you're probably making a real cake, not this weird one. But I digress...)

Cover with plastic wrap and let sit over night in the fridge. Or a couple of nights if you're scared of it like we were.

Slice and serve.

And you know what?

It's delicious. Like heaven on a fork.

The cookies make the lightest, softest, most flavorful layers of cake. The whipping cream is dense and rich. Ice box cake is ridiculously good, much more so then the sum of the parts.

Some variations I've seen in a lot of recipes:

For cookies, you can use oreos, graham crackers, chocolate chip - skies the limit. 
Mix pudding into the whip cream or mascarpone cheese, or liquor.

Other then that though, it's basically a big old strata of empty calories. Yum.

If you have a favorite icebox cake let me know. I'd love to hear about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are a few Norwegian treats similar to this. A "bløttkake" ("soft cake") is a layer cake with cream where the layers have had milk poured on them. "Tilslørte bondepiker" ("veiled farmgirls") wins for the most intriguing name: it's really a fairly tame dessert with layers of cream, applesauce, and cookies (I think you can even use bread). There's some other thing I don't know the name of which is ladyfingers (and sometimes other things like gumdrops) cast into a solid block of chocolate with a large amount of extra cocoa butter to keep it soft and slice-able. -BJL

Carmen said...

I knew it was going to be good when you said 'next time we make it...' Oh it sounds like Heaven. I'm drooling.

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

How clever of you to make something so scrumptious-looking starting with something "even the dog wouldn't eat". lol.