Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Health Update and Pain au Chocolat


So... health. It sort of sucks again causing me no end to the panic. I'm on week seven of a frightening down turn. It got bad enough that about five weeks ago I went back on my pain meds and that escalated quickly to quite the mess. This week I am back off them as my back pain and mobility issues seem to be equally bad with or without the meds, so why pollute my body with mind-numbing chemicals?


The timing really couldn't be worse though as I have a half-marathon and a week long vacation to Florida in nine days... and I'm flopping around like a fish in the bottom of a boat with back spasms, looking half-dead from lack of sleep and yelping from just walking across the room.


It's not pretty. But this time I have a plan. 

(Kind of like Avery here - beating his brothers at a card game)

I'm going to slow down (even more... I'm feeling positively glacial at this point) and focus on these rascals, loving them, making sure the moments we have together are precious ones.


And maybe they'll remember this little blip as a time with good food and laughter


Instead of mom hiding in the bathroom crying.

The plan is to nourish, to be gentle and to get through it together. 


To make pain au chocolat (the healthy way), prepare your favorite whole wheat bread dough allow it to rise once. Roll it out flat and cut into rectangles, then triangles. Roll up a chocolat baton in each. Alternatively you could add preserves, almond paste or even chocolate chips. Allow to rise (40 min), brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake for 30 min or until golden.

Note: Some folks cut their dough in rectangles and put chocolate on each side and roll both ends towards the center like a scroll. 


11 comments:

Kim's Treasures said...

I sure hope things are better for you soon!!! So sad to possibly miss a race! Your dessert looks wonderful!!!

Meg Luby said...

that is such a FAB way to make pain au chocolat!
but, in relation to the rest of your post, that's more then slightly upsetting. praying for a speedy recovery!! your plan is a good one in the meantime tho :)
-meg
@ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
@ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

Kathi said...

I'm sorry that you've had a downturn and are in pain again.

Your plan to give love will gain love, which will help your spirits and your body.

{{((hugs))}}

P.S. The warmth of Florida might really be great for your back.

Kathi said...

Oh yeah. Those photos are wonderful and those Pain au Chocolat look delicious.

I tried your chicken cordon bleu to rave reviews... Thank you!

grrlpup said...

I'm so sorry that you're fighting pain and setbacks, just when you want to be doing the fun stuff and traveling or, hey, just ditching the pain. Can't even say how much that blows, on this very long road. :\

I like your plan. Gentle sounds like the way to go, and your family is awesome.

Thinking of you!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Pain au chocolat - yum! Thanks for the how-to, Nicole. You make it sound so simple, how could I NOT try to make them. Your suggestions for other fillings are great too.

I'm so sorry to hear about the rest of your life though. That really s --- uhhh --- stinks :-(

Dana said...

Feel better, Nicole! I know how tough these setbacks are and I truly empathize. You are so strong and resilient...I know you'll bounce back. *Hugs*

pamlovesbooks said...

Ahhh your health, so important yet always neglected until it doesnt work right! Sigh, be gentle with yourself...

Carmen said...

Aw Nicole :( I hope it eases for you soon, the boys will look back and remember what an amazing SuperMum you are, because you are you know.

Big hugs.

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

These look so good! Please come join us at the Project Party here: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-make-your-blog.html

Eye Creams said...

Those photos are wonderful and that Pain au Chocolate looks delicious. I will try them all to prepare them at my house and make my children's happy with these dishes.